About Me

My photo
My Passion: Football, football, football & sports. Notes to myself : Dreamer, Idealist, Driven to do anythting that I desire. My thoughts on my Life : I have been propelled by the force of the inner tides into the universe to fulfill my destiny and make the prophecy of the prophet come true. My Take on attitude : Positive and nothing else matters. Taste of a sip of coffee : Makes life run through my viens. Friendship : A Bridge Across Forever My Bible : Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach My life statement : The impossible we do it in minutes, it's the miracles that take a little longer. My most precious possesions : My unspoken thoughts and my unwritten words. My take on career :Live your passion and the rest will follow..after all it's maktub. My take on ambition :If you want something badly in life, the entire universe conspires to make it happen. My idol : Jonathan Livingston Seagul - the fictional gull created by Richard Bach My take on Music - Music is a forever thing !!! My favourite animal - The Eagle My credo : impossible is nothing..

Followers

Friday, June 26, 2009

Will India Ever Qualify for the FIFA Football World Cup?


Every time the FIFA World Cup completes it's four year hibernation cycle and begins to pop up across continents, one thought always comes back to haunt me . Will our Country - India ever qualify for the FIFA Football World Cup ?
It might be a simple question to many, but for a football fan it is a question as important as a matter of life and death. I think it's much more than that. This question again came to my mind today morning , when I visited the Indian Football team conducting a coaching session at Vasant Valley School, Delhi. One half of men in blue were there while the other half had gone to Chittaranjan Park to conduct a similar coaching session out there. Looking at the Indian team and the kids and teenagers who had come to take part in the session, my mind could only wander to think , "how would it be " if the same kind of session would be held in a football crazy nation like Brazil, Holland & England.
The feeling of " how would it be " relates to the infrastructure , talent, facilities and the overall organization of the same in the above mentioned three countries. Then comes the issue of the gap between the top teams and the Indian team in terms of - technique, physical fitness and overall development as a player. The top teams are probably 20 years ahead of us - How do we cover that 20 year old gap ? A very hard hitting question contained with so many issues and real problems - having no solution in the short term and the medium term. The only hope is that hopefully more globalization will make football as accessible as cricket in India. Indian kids will start playing the game with the same fervour as their global counterparts. One of my profs from my MBA days used to say - "Business should be a force for good "- I am hoping that more globalization and liberalization will be that force that does Indian football good.
It might be the force that liberates Indian football from its bureaucracy and current "dead state of affairs " and infuses life into the sport - like it has done across south east Asia and Australia in particular. And I am keeping my fingers crossed still - who knows that I do not have to wait another 20 years to see and hear the Indian national anthem reverberate in the stadiums across a country when the FIFA Football World Cup is held there. I dream of that day...hope some of you do that too ?

3 comments:

  1. also, don't you think there is too much money in cricket? and other sports hardly ever get that kind of visibility and support? maybe soccer needs a a stronger association/ clubs ...i'm talking about a la-IPL. its not so much for the glamour, but for the visibility and money that will help further the quality you are talking about in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Business should be a force for good "- I am hoping that more globalization and liberalization will be that force that does Indian football good. Haber

    ReplyDelete